Shapers 1948 – 1970

10. Fr.P.A. SWAMIKANNU ( 1948 – 1960 )

Fr.Swamikannu was born on January 10, 1898 at Nagalapuram near Chengalpet to the devout parents Mr.Pushpam Pillai and Mrs. Ponna Mariammal. He was the product of Petit Seminaire and had his major seminary formation at St.Peter’s, Bangalore. He was ordained priest on October 21, 1926

Fr.Swamikannu, before coming to Petit Seminaire, served at St.Joseph’s Highe School, Cuddalore during 1926 to 35, Parish priest of Cathedral for one year, Rector of Minor Seminary, Cuddalore for two years and four years Parish Priest at Viriyur

He joined Petit Seminaire in 1943 as superior of college and in 1949 he took the mantle of responsibility as Principal of Petit Seminaire High School. He was the first Indian priest to occupy the chair of Principal in Petit Seminaire.

The next eleven years saw the great transition from a French college to an English High School. Year after year a class in the French Section was closed till French was reduced to a second language in the Matriculation section.

Fr.Swamikannu then moved to Villianur as Parish Priest in 1960 and on November 1965 he passed away due to heart attack.

11. Fr. S. PETER (1960 – 1970, 1973 – 1980)

Fr.S.Peter was born on November 16, 1926 at Manalmedu, Mayiladuthurai. After his seminary formation both at St.Agnes’ and St.Peter’s, he was ordained priest on December 8, 1954. He joined Petit Seminaire as Director immediately after his ordination and in the year 1960 he became the principal and continued in the post till 1981 with a brief break of three years during 1970 to 1973 dan during which time St.Joseph’s Thirupapuliur benefited by his service.

His stewardship, signelled an era of expansion both in space and strength. He made arrangements to light the class rooms with electricity in 1963 with fund from the students Rs.15 per head.

By a clever stroke of bargain the vast police ground that lay adjoining to the Mission fields at Oupalam was acquired for the school play ground and with the subscription of Rs.15/- each, the cost of a lorry load of earth the level of ground was raised.

The acquisition of the play ground, the stadium in 1969, Infant Jesus Block ground floor and first floor, the block towards the St.Therese Street gate, the present spacious staff room, adjacent class rooms over Fr.Guillerm’s building and the lab equipments to meet the requirement of Matriculation syllabus and the Higher secondary courses were his asset additions to the school

On academic curricular and co curricular side, sports was given equal importance and sports day became annual feature in the academic year. Introduction of Hindi as second language, thirty minutes of Catechism/Morals classes every day and mid term test were during his tenure.

Fr.Peter, a democrat in spirit arrived at all the epoch making decisions after due consultation with the heads of the departments. There lay the secret of his success.

He introduced central government scales of pay to teachers and provided a housing colony which bears his name.

After completing his third entry into Petit Seminaire he then moved to St.Anne’s Higher Secondary School, Tindivanam (1981 – 85), then to St.Mary’s High School, Karaikal (1985-89) and due to super annuation he retired from the school ministry and became the parish priest of Christ the King Parish Villupuram (1989 – 1998), then the parish priest of Konankuppam (1998 – 2005). He was also parish priest of Nellikuppam for a very brief period of one year and since 2006 he is at St.Anne’s, Tindivanam as spiritual father.